Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Architectural Complex of the Old Monastery of the Ascension

На главнуюSightseeing → Architectural Complex of the Old Monastery of the Ascension

Architectural Complex of the Old Monastery of the Ascension

The foundation date of the Old Monastery of the Ascension is unknown. The first mention of the monastery in the chronicles dates back to 1420, when the miracle-working icon of the Holy Mother of God was transferred to Pskov from the Chirsky churchyard. Pskov citizens, priesthood, monks and deacons greeted the icon with the crosses at the monastery.

In 1472, Sofia Paleolog, the bride of Ivan the Great, came to Pskov, and «all the Pskov posadniks and boyars accompanied her with bread, wine and honey to the Old Monastery of the Ascension». In 1650, the Nunnery of the Sign was built here, later it was reformed into the Monastery of the Ascension, and then – into the Nunnery of the Ascension. For a long time, the nunnery had been in distress due to lack of agricultural lands: by 1765, due to lack of funds, the nunnery did not even have a fence. In the early XIX century, the nunnery began to gradually recover. In the post-revolutionary years, in February 1920, a decree was issued on the seven-day release of the monastic nuns. The monastery premises were renovated, the territory was enclosed with barbed wire under electric current and towers, and on June 26, 1920, the Pskov Concentration Camp of Compulsory Labor appeared here. After dismantling of the camp in 1924, a department of the Joint State Political Directorate (in the 30s, People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) was housed here. The former cells were used as pre-trial detention cells. The torment and torture procedures could not be compared with the rather liberal conditions of the concentration camp.

The Church of the Ascension of Our Lord, preserved to our time, was built in the second half of the XVI century. The Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God was built in 1833. The monument built in the Empire style is remarkable with its perfect proportions and purity of architectural forms. It was built in place of the demolished southern chapel of the Ascension Church and was consecrated on May 9 of the same year.

At present, only the Church of the Ascension has been returned to believers; there is a planetarium in the Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God. Only the first tier the belfry, where the planetarium observatory is located, has survived.