Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

House of Roman Catholic priest (Chambers near the Sokolya Hill)

На главнуюSightseeing → House of Roman Catholic priest (Chambers near the Sokolya Hill)

In1543, Komsomolsky Lane was mentioned in the chronicle as «Sokolya Street» (after Sokolya tower and Sokoli gates, which are located here). Later, the street was renamed Zlatoustovsky (John Chrysostom) Lane after the monastery of John Chrysostom, which has not survived up to the present days.

House of Roman Catholic priest (Chambers near the Sokolya Hill)

The house of the Roman Catholic Priest is one of the few extant monuments of civil engineering of Pskov architecture of the XVII century that has almost preserved its original appearance. The history of its construction began in the middle of the XVII century. The building was significantly rebuilt after a fierce fire that broke out in Pskov in May, 1682. In 1863, the priest Vitovsky, the abbot of the nearby Polish church, became the owner of the house. At this time, the house had a wooden mezzanine covered with thin planks, a three corner fronton and a gable roof. On the southern facade of the building there were three large windows. The mezzanine and all the wooden elements of the house were destroyed in a fire in 1944. The building remained roofless until 1953.

Until recently, the economic service of the Pskov Museum and the blacksmith’s workshop (Pskov Blacksmith’s Forge) had been housed in the house and the outbuildings.

House of Mason

An elegant building in a quiet Komsomol lane, known to locals as Mason's House, has nothing to do with secret societies. In the early XX century, a citizen of Scotland named Ludwig Mason (Мейсон) moved to Russia, changed his name to Mason (Масон), became a history teacher, collected ancient coins and works of art. In 1910, he built a mansion in the Art Nouveau style for himself and his collections.

According to research, the House of Mason stands on the site of the Monastery of John Chrysostom, which served as a reliquary of the family of the Pogankiny merchants. Under Catherine II, the monastery was closed down, and the land was sold.

After the revolution, the house was transformed into an ordinary communal flat. In 1998, in the basement the monastic masonry and traces of graves were found. Since 2002, the renovated building has been housing depository of the Pskov State Historical-Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve.