Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Intersession complex

На главнуюSightseeing → Intersession complex

Intersession complex

The architectural ensemble of the historic part of the Pskov city includes the Intercession tower, the Intercession gates, a part of the defensive wall, bulwarks of Peter the First, the double church of the Intercession and Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God and the Memorial celebrating 300 years since the defense of Pskov against the army of Stephan Bathory in 1581.

When Pskov became dependant on Moscow in 1510, the government took on the task of fortifying the city. The Intercession tower built by the side of the Velikaya River stood out from other towers put up in the beginning of the XVI century. The unique feature of the tower is that its first tier is hollowed out right in the cliff on which the whole construction leans on. The five-tiered Intercession tower, whose outer circumference reaches 90 meters, is the strongest fortress of the Pskov land, and one of the biggest fortifications in Europe. Anti mine passages were constructed at the bottom of the tower. From inside of them noise of any underground construction work could be heard from a far away.

  During the siege of the city by the army of Stephan Bathory the main attack was launched on the Intercession tower. As the result of the most savage attack, the enemy managed to break into the tower and to establish control over it. However, Pskov citizens not only did not stop hand-to-hand fighting, but even launched a counterattack and won the tower back. One more time the tower served its purpose during the Great Northern War (1700-1721) when it became the basis for the rampart system of the Pskov southern defense line. At that time its helm roof and wooden cover were dismantled. Inside the tower was covered with earth. The tower had been deactivated for over 250 years.

The history of the double church of the Intercession and Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God dates back to 1399, when the church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God was built. It was the cathedral church of the Intercession monastery. It is best known for the role it played in the Livonian War. In 1581, during the siege of Pskov by the army of Stephan Bathory, the elder named Dorofey, who was a monk in the monastery, had a vision of the Most Holy Mother of God showing the place where the next attack would take place. It seemed that the enemy would inevitably make it to the heart of the city. However, the Pskov citizens encouraged by the religious procession with the icon of the Most Holy Theotokos of Tenderness and the relics of Prince Vsevolod defeated the attack.

The siege was relieved in 1582, and thankful Pskov citizens together with the commander of the army Ivan Shuisky rebuilt the Intercession church and joined it with another one – the church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God.