Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Monument to guerilla movement in Pskov

На главнуюSightseeing → Monument to guerilla movement in Pskov

Monument to guerilla movement in Pskov

Memorial «Memory»

During the Great Patriotic War approximately 57 thousands of guerilla warriors were present in the Pskov region. The guerilla detachment provided considerable assistance to the front line. By the end of July 1944 guerilla warriors had significantly weakened the opposing army – they had killed 150 thousands of soldiers and destroyed 1600 trains, 24 thousands of wagons, 120 planes and many other military equipment. The country highly appreciated their gallantry in action – 8 thousand soldiers were awarded orders and medals.

The memorial built upon the project of Vsevolod Smirnov in 1985 is dedicated to the memory of the guerilla movement in Pskov. Powerful granite boulders represent the invincible spirit of people’s wrath. The pond and white birch trees around the meadow, in the centre of which the memorial is erected, symbolize their strong will to live. The inscription on the memorial reads: «Being in the enemy rear, 29 Pskov guerilla detachments, which numbered more than 57 thousands of soldiers, displayed gallantry during the fascist occupation (1941-1944). Eternal glory to you, guerilla warriors!»

Excavations of the Archeological Centre of the Pskov Region

Excavations of the site carried out in 2018 revealed the ruins of wooden and earthen fortifications of the defensive wall dating back to 1465. The wall was damaged by fire and replaced with a new stone one in the 70s of the XV century.

The fortifications represented a rampart. A drainage facility was discovered under the foundation of the rampart. It was used for discharge of water from the source that was found on the construction corridor of the new fortification wall. Banks of the waterway were backed up with beams and half beams vertically fixed close to each other. Its top covering was of the same material. The route of the underground channel ran to the north-east and brought groundwater flow to a ditch.  

In the northern part of the excavation site a vaulted gallery has been found and almost completely dug up. It was built of limestone with added limestone solutions. Apparently it was a secret manhole allowing access to water which went through the rampart of 1465 and ended above a spring. The manhole was constructed at the same time as the stone wall – in the late XV century or in the early XVI century. Presumably, it replaced the wooden underground corridor that had previously been there. Throughout much of the excavation site a boulder foundation of the defensive wall has been found.