Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Oktyabrsky Avenue

На главнуюSightseeing → Oktyabrsky Avenue

Oktyabrsky Avenue

Oktyabrsky Avenue is the central highway of the Pskov city. It starts from Oktyabrsky Square and runs up to the Vokzalnaya Street. Initially, the bit of a road from Pushkin Street to Sverdlov Street was called Trupekhovaya Street or Trupehovka (1426). The Explanatory Dictionary of the Living Great Russian Language, commonly known as Dahl’s Explanatory Dictionary, provides the following definition of the word «Trupehovka»: crumbly, mouldering, rotten, flabby, mellow earth. At the intersection of the street with the defensive wall was the Luzhskaya (Trupehovskaya) gate tower which was relatively small in size. Through the tower the gates led inside the fortifications.

Later, Trupekhovaya Street was renamed Sergievskaya after the church of St. Sergius of Radonezh. Further, outside the gates of the defensive wall towards Kresty went Nikolayev connecting highway. On its bit of the road up to Vokzalnaya Street Kakhanovsky Boulevard was built. The boulevard was named after the Pskov Governor Mikhail Kakhanov. In the XIX century, when the Dinaburg highway (St. Petersburg - Kiev) was built by order of the emperor Nicholas I of Russia, Sergievskaya Street began taking on the role of the main highway of Pskov. To get there, it was necessary to make a new road from Sergievskaya Street.

In 1959, the streets were joined together and turned into Oktyabrsky Avenue.

Letny Sad (Summer Garden)

In 1874, on the former ramparts behind the St. Sergius Gates, by order of the city government, a garden was set up and it soon became a favorite recreation place of the Pskov citizens.

Originally, the garden remained nameless. In 1898, it was called St. Sergius Garden. It became known as Pushkin's Summer Garden in the post-revolutionary period. The garden area is 14.5 hectares. In 1983, unveiling of the memorial to Pushkin in Pskov was one of the main events of the traditional all-Union Pushkin poetry festival. The authors of the composition are the sculptor Oleg Komov, the architects Mikhail Konstantinov and Petr Butenko. They called it «Pushkin and a peasant woman». When you look at this composition, you unintentionally think of the great poet`s nanny Arina Rodionovna, but at the same time the figure of a peasant woman symbolizes the Mother Russia. The monument is set in the Summer Garden on the site overlooking the Oktyabrsky Avenue.