Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Svinuzskaya (Svinorskaya) tower

На главнуюSightseeing → Svinuzskaya (Svinorskaya) tower

Svinuzskaya (Svinorskaya) tower

Since the XVI century in the system of the town fortification had been a tower with a gateway through which cattle, and especially pigs (swines), were driven to pasture. This explains the name of the tower — Svinuzskaya (Svinorskaya). In front of the gates there was a narrow corridor called zakhab, and on the outside of the wall there was an underground corridor to track enemy actions and to launch anti-mine campaigns.

Svinuzskaya and Pokrovskaya towers suffered great damage during the fifth-month siege by the polish king Stephan Bathory. The breach in the defensive wall appeared near the Svinuzskaya tower as a result of the artillery attack carried out on September 7, 1581. During one of the major attacks the tower was blown up by Pskov citizens when the enemies were inside.

The assault detachments of Stefan Bathory rushed to the breach at the broken tower. Behind the ruins of the stone wall they discovered a second fortification ring, consisting of a wooden fence and a ditch. The enemies did not enter the town.

In 1701 at the order of Peter the First began the construction of earthen ramparts. The ruins of the destroyed tower and the fortification wall were covered with earth, and still remain beneath the ground.  

Memorial celebrating 300 years since the defense of Pskov against the army of Stephan Bathory

The memorial celebrating 300 years since the defense of Pskov against the army of Stephan Bathory has been set up on a mound — an earthen bulwark of Peter the First period. The Pskov garrison fought the against the army of Stephan Bathory who had been laying unsuccessful sieges to the town since August 1581 till February 1582.

On September 8, 1881 the religious procession from the Trinity Cathedral to the Stephan Bathory breach which took place and concluded with the foundation of a memorial. The memorial was put up at the initiative of the Pskov Archeological Society and funded by local residents. According to the legend, after the end of the Livonian war the mortal remains of those who died while defending the city were buried in front of the Svinuzskaya Tower. The place was called the Bed of Honor.