Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh

На главнуюSightseeing → Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh

Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh

In the ancient Pskov, swamps were called «luzhishche» or «luzhye». Such marshland was located near the junction of Sverdlov Street and Oktyabrsky Avenue.

At this place, the St. Sergius monastery was located. It was moved here from outside the city during the siege laid to the town by the troops of Stephen Bathory in 1581. Today only the church built between 1581 and 1583 remains standing. The church has been rebuilt several times. In the second half of the XVII century, the top of the church was covered with green ceramic shingle. The architectural form of the church is typical of Pskov: mainly cubic in shape, it is built of limestone and covered with an eight-slope roof. Inside, the vaults are supported by four pillars. The drum is decorated with a traditional Pskov ornament and a belt of colorful ornamented tiles. A two-span belfry is set on the north wall. On the east side there are three low apses. The eminent art historian Igor Grabar, who had seen the church before the revolution, considered it to be the most graceful church in Pskov.

During the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945) the apses of the church were hit by a bomb. In 1947, the drum and the dome collapsed. In the early 1970s, studies were carried on the building. At that time a wooden box was found in a stone stash spot. Inside of it there were 56 ancient manuscripts of the XVI- XVII centuries rolled up in a tube. Reconstruction and preservation work carried out in 1974-1978 remained unfinished. Restoration work only began in January 2015. The first service held in the restored church took place in the evening of October 7, 2015.