Структура Администрации  Портал Администрации г. Пскова
Комитет по реализации программ приграничного сотрудничества и туризму
 
 

Pskov Fortress

На главнуюSightseeing → Pskov Fortress

Pskov Fortress

Outer City

The Pskov fortress is an outstanding military fortification of the ancient City of Military Glory. Thick high walls and countless powerful towers made the Pskov fortress unassailable. The walls and the towers were built of a relatively solid flagstone and were covered with roofs to shelter defenders of the tower from rain and snow as well as to protect the fortifications from moister penetration. Five rings of the stone walls with the length of 9 kilometers were fortified with 37 towers. The fifth ring of the fortification ran along the modern Sverdlov Street. The territory limited by Behind-the-Wall (Middle) part of the city (1375) and the last, outer ring of the fortifications (XV century) was called the Outer City, and before the construction of the wall — Polonishche (Field).   

Sverdlov Street

Sverdlov Street goes along the whole south-eastern part of the wall inside the fifth ring of the fortification.  The street had been named Stennaya (Wall) up to 1923. Later it was renamed after the revolutionary Yakov Sverdlov (1885-1919). The street is about 2 kilometers long. At the intersection of the wall with the main streets leading out of the city had been towers and gates which were later taken to pieces as being of no use. Only some towers have survived up to the present day. Sverdlov Street connected the two Pskov rivers. The street began at the Intercession tower near the Velikaya River and led to the north-east along the defensive wall to the St. Nickolas monastery situated near the Pskova River. To put up ramparts during the Great Northern War, Peter the First ordered to cover up the monastery with sand.   

By the early XX century a regular pattern of settlement had formed. Residential houses on adjoining properties were built at a considerable distance from one another. Towers and gates of the wall served as landmarks for the addresses of households along Stennaya (Wall) Street. Since all the buildings were put up on the same side of a street, the house numbering was consecutive, in other words, there was neither even, nor odd side.  A good part of the territory at the intersection of Spegalsky and Sverdlov Streets was occupied by fruit gardens. Here the extensive building started only in the 1870s.